ENA enables you to monitor the availability of the managed objects in your network. Users with Administrator permissions can set up and maintain the IP addresses used with availability monitoring.
ENA builds of a list of IP addresses on which to gather availability data every 10 minutes, using applicationMonitor. This list defines the end destinations for all traceroute and ping operations within each 10 minute polling cycle.
- is built from the list of devices under the Entuity server's management, converting host names to IP addresses.
- is built from the list of IP addresses associated with ports, but ignoring IP addresses with a status of administratively down. Layer 2 switches do not have IP addresses associated with their ports.
- is built from the list of all IP addresses associated with managed devices. This includes IP addresses that are not mapped to ports.
- excludes IP addresses of ports that are unmanaged.
- excludes IP addresses on more than one device.
applicationMonitor then reads this IP address polling list. The list is polled with traceroute every 2 minutes. By default, ENA availability monitoring pings an IP address, waits 3 seconds for a response and - if a response is not returned - sends another ICMP Ping Echo request to the same address.
ENA will ping a non-responding address up to 3 times before determining the address is not reachable.