With ENA, you can both schedule and manually run automatic discovery of the devices on your network through the UI. You can also run auto discovery from the command line.
To run Auto Discovery via the UI:
- In the Main Menu, click Administration.
- Click Device Inventory.
- Click Auto Discovery in the bottom left of the browser.
- The Auto Discovery window will open.
In the Auto Discovery window, you can set the parameters for auto discovery.
- Specify the device, range of IP addresses and/or IP subnets for Auto Discovery to use when identifying devices for ENA to take under management in the Included Addresses field, and to use when excluding devices being taken under management in the Excluded Addresses field. You can include multiple rows of addresses, and on each row you can enter:
- A range of IP addresses, specifying the From and To values.
- An IP address or device name.
- An IP subnet, specifying the Prefix and Netmask values.
- Enter the authentication details ENA requires to manage the device in the Authentication Details field. For SNMPv1 and SNMPv2, you should enter the device's SNMP community string, which by default is 'public'.
- Specify the system object identifiers of devices that ENA should not manage in the Excluded SysOids field.
- Specify the default level of device management in the Default Management Level field, either 'Full', 'Full (No Ports)', 'Basic', 'Ping Only', 'Full (Virtualization)' or 'None'. The default is 'Full'.
- Specify the device name displayed within the product in the Display Name field, either 'Resolved Name (fully qualified)', 'System Name', 'Resolved Name', 'Polled Name' or 'IP Address'. The default is 'Resolved Name (fully qualified)'.
- Specify the time in seconds auto discovery waits for a response from a ping before it times out the ping in the Ping Timeout field.
- Specify on which port the device's SNMP agent receives its requests, in the SNMP ports field. By default, this is set to the default UDP port 161.
- Configure the scheduling of auto discovery in the Auto run field, either 'Never' (so auto discovery is only run manually), 'Every day' or on a particular day.
- Specify the zone in which to scan your specified IP address range in the Zone field.
- Tick the Poll using hostname box if you want ENA to resolve device IP addresses to device hostnames.
- Tick the Review results before adding box if you want ENA to present the list of discovered devices which you can then choose to take under management. If left unticked, ENA will automatically take discovered devices under management.
- Click Start.
- The progress of the Auto Discovery can be seen on the Progress bar at the bottom of the window. Once the process is completed, click View Results at the bottom of the window to view the discovered devices.
By default, discovered devices are not automatically placed under management by ENA. However, you can configure ENA so that discovered devices are automatically placed under management.