Entuity monitors hardware changes and additions through changes of MAC addresses. For example, hardware changes and additions to the network in a remote office can significantly impact network performance. Device auto discovery, inventory snapshots and inventory reports help you know what is on your network.
MAC address events help you detect and report configuration changes at the edge of your network. Hardware changes and additions to the network in a remote office can significantly impact network performance. Once Entuity identifies a change, you can investigate using e.g. Maps to see the port's device in its network context, and then drilling down for further details.
MAC address events:
There are 3 types of MAC address events:
- MAC Address New - MAC address is new to the current port.
- MAC Address Port Change - MAC address is new to the current port, but Entuity retains a record of it occurring on other managed ports.
- MAC Address High Port Count (and MAC Address High Port Count Cleared) - a set threshold.
When MAC Address New and Mac Address Port Change events are raised together, this indicates a host has changed port.
When MAC Address New event is raised alone, this indicates a new host and a greater potential security risk.
To enable MAC address thresholds and events:
- Navigate to the port on which you want to set a threshold.
- Follow the instructions provided in this article to enable thresholds, finding the appropriate MAC address threshold(s).