Entuity enables you to monitor the availability of the managed objects in your network. Users with Administrator permissions can set up and maintain the IP addresses used with availability monitoring.
To set up ICMP monitoring:
- In the Main Menu, click Administration.
- Click ICMP Monitor. This will open the ICMP Monitor Settings page.
- Choose if you want to enable ICMP polling by ticking the Enable ICMP Polling box. This is enabled by default. If ticked, choose which addresses you want to monitor:
- All Addresses - ping all known IP addresses of managed devices.
- Management Addresses - ping only the management IP addresses of managed devices.
- Custom - specify IP addresses to include in or exclude from availability monitoring using the Add or Edit buttons in the Included Addresses and Excluded Addresses windows.
- Choose if you want to enable root cause analysis by ticking the Enable Root Cause Analysis box. This is enabled by default. This functionality identifies the root cause of a network failure, and will only raise events and incidents against that object. If ticked, choose which of the following you would like to enable:
- Enable Network Outage Events - this is enabled by default. This alerts you to the cause and impact of a network outage.
- Suppress Unmanaged/Excluded IP Addresses in Event Details - do not include details of unmanaged IP addresses, or those IP addresses that you have excluded from availability monitoring.
- Choose if you want to enable device unreachable events by ticking the Enable Device Unreachable Events box. If ticked, choose which of the reachability options you would like:
- ICMP reachability only.
- SNMP reachability only.
- combined ICMP and SNMP reachability.
- You can also choose if you want to raise events when device reachability is degraded by ticking the Raise "Device Reachability Degraded" events box.
- Click Save in the bottom left of the browser.
Entuity updates its IP address polling list every ten minutes. applicationMonitor polls the IP addresses on this list every two minutes.