Before installing and configuring ENA:
- set up your VCS environment.
- check the Veritas application.
- check your ENA licenses.
ENA and VCS overview:
In a VCS HA cluster, storage is shared (or replicated) and in a failover only the IP address moves between nodes. This means that you need to configure ENA to use a floating IP address that Veritas moves between machines. The DNS name for this IP address will not be the same as the host name of the machine that ENA is running on. All clients will need to be configured to use this floating IP address, and all managed devices will also need to be configured to send traps to the floating IP address.
When using VCS to deliver High Availability, follow these steps:
- VCS should be installed to the primary and backup servers.
- Provide a separate shared storage area to which both primary and backup servers have access.
- Install ENA to the shared storage area.
- Configure ENA on both servers to use a common path (e.g. same name location) on the shared storage.
- Configure the primary and backup VCS servers to:
- know about and communicate with each other.
- work with the ENA agent (to startup, monitor, shutdown ENA).
- understand the components that are required on each server for ENA to work (e.g. access to SAN, ENA itself).
- Instruct VCS to start ENA on the primary server (via the console). VCS uses our agent to start ENA, and ENA uses the SAN to store its data.
- If VCS detects any required ENA component on the primary server has failed, then it:
- shuts down ENA on the primary server.
- ensures that IP and DNS resolution is swapped to the backup server. Users are unawares of the switch (except for a short outage period).
- sends a message to the backup server to start ENA.
- On the backup server Entuity loads the data from the shared database on the SAN.
Set up your VCS environment:
If you require assistance in implementing ENA High Availability under VCS, please contact Entuity Professional Services.
Check the Veritas application:
ENA is verified to work with these versions of Veritas applications:
- Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions 5.1 for Windows.
- Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions 5.0 for Linux.
When installing to a different version, the installation and configuration instructions may vary from the example given here.
Check ENA licenses:
For each node within the cluster on which you may potentially have to run ENA, you must have an ENA license locally installed to that machine. ENA licenses are not transferable between servers. For your ENA supplier to generate a valid license, you must provide the host identifier.
To configure ENA services in Windows:
In Windows environments, the Entuity server runs through a number of services. ENA configure creates these services, so you must run configure on each node in the VCS. In Linux environments, services are not created and configure only needs to be run on one node in the cluster.
In all environments each node that runs ENA must have a locally installed ENA license that is valid on that machine. During configure you must also define the host name that has been set up in DNS for the floating IP address.
To configure ENA for Veritas:
The instructions for installing and configuring ENA High Availability are specific to the operating system and version of Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions.
The following instructions assume that you install to the recommended locations. If these locations are different in your configuration, then substitute the paths appropriately in the following instructions.
Linux installation example:
|entuity_home/integ/VCS||location of the configuration files and scripts to be installed into the Veritas directories and configuration.|
|/opt/VRTSvcs||location of the Veritas Cluster software.|
|/share/EYE||location of the ENA software that is mounted on shared storage accessible from all nodes in the cluster that will be running ENA.|
|/local/EYE_license||location of the ENA license file on each node in the cluster.|
- Create a directory for the ENA Veritas agent scripts under /opt/VRTSvcs/bin:
- Create a symbolic link to the Veritas script agent:
ln -s ../Script50Agent ./EYEAgent
- Copy the agent scripts to the ENA agent directory:
cp online offline monitor clean /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/EYE
- Copy the ENA type configuration to the Veritas configuration directory:
cp EYEtypes.cf /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config
- Indicate to the Veritas cluster that you are about to make a change to the configuration:
- Add the following line to the file /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config/main.cf:
- Edit the file /etc/VRTSvcs/conf/config/main.cf and add the ENA installation to the cluster configuration.
See the example configuration in the file /share/EYE/integ/VCS/EYEmain.cf.
- Indicate to the Veritas cluster that you have finished making changes to the configuration.
/opt/VRTSvcs/bin/haconf -dump -makero
- Log in to the Veritas GUI process, check the configuration and start ENA.
Windows installation example:
|entuity_home\integ\VCS||location of the configuration files and scripts to be installed into the Veritas directories and configuration.|
|%VCS_HOME%||location of the Veritas Cluster software.|
|\share\EYE||location of the ENA software that is mounted on shared storage accessible from all nodes in the cluster that will be running ENA.|
|\local\EYE_license||location of the ENA license file on each node in the cluster.|
- Configure ENA.
- Run hostIdent on each node in the cluster to discover the host identifier, and get a license for each node.
- Place an ENA license file on the same path on each node:
Copy license.dat C:\local\license.dat
- Run configure on each node in the cluster.
configure is run on each node to ensure that the ENA services are installed on each
- Create an Entuity directory under %VCS_HOME%\bin:
- Copy the Veritas script agents dynamic link library into the ENA directory:
copy ..\default50agent.dll .\EYE.dll
- Copy the agent scripts to the agent directory.
copy online.pl offline.pl monitor.pl %VCS_HOME%\bin\EYE
- Copy the ENA type definition to the Veritas configuration directory.
copy EYEtypes.cf %VCS_HOME%\conf\config
- Add the following line at the top of the file %VCS_HOME%\conf\config\main.cf
- Edit the main.cf file to add the ENA installation to the cluster.
See the example configuration in the file entuity_home\integ\VCS\EYEmain.