Applicable to Entuity v21.0 upwards
A link discovery job requests the data required to identify inter-server links from each of the servers in a Topology Group. Upon completion of the discovery job, the list of links to both the source and destination servers in a Topology Group will be updated and saved.
Note, if any servers are not contactable when a discovery job is run, then any discovered changes to the topology of the group will not be updated until the server is contactable again.
Job history is retained for 1 day, and link data is retained for 7 days.
To schedule discovery jobs for a Topology Group:
Discovery jobs will automatically run for a Topology Group that is set to Enabled. Discovery jobs run every 10 minutes.
To manually start a discovery on a Topology Group:
- Navigate to the Topology Group Management page (Main Menu > Administration > Topology Group Management).
- Select the Topology Group for which you want to start a discovery job and click Start Discovery from the top of the page (or via the Overflow Menu or right-click Context Menu).
- The discovery will start immediately.
Note, you can manually start a discovery on only a single topology group at a time.
Note, you cannot run a discovery on a topology group that contains only one server.
To view a history of discovery jobs run on a Topology Group:
You can view a history of the discovery jobs run on a Topology Group from the History tab of the Topology Group Management page.
This table details the following for each discovery job:
|Status||status of the discovery, either Success or Failure .|
|Started at||timestamp for when the discovery job started.|
|Finished at||timestamp for when the discovery job finished.|
|Elapsed Time||time taken to run the discovery job|
|Links found||number of links found between devices on the servers in the group.|
|Run By||user who ran the discovery, or if it was a scheduled (system) run.|
To view details of a specific discovery job for a topology group:
- Under the History tab, select the discovery job for which you want to view details, and click Details at the top of the page (or via the Overflow Menu or right-click Context Menu).
- The details form will open on the right of the page.
This form details the following breakdown of the discovery job:
- Links Discovered - number of links discovered by this discovery job in this topology group.
- Time taken in ms to undertake the following tasks:
- Request Data
- Retrieve & Process
- Update Links