When you have more than one Entuity server managing your network, it is likely that you will want to see devices managed by the different servers on the same map. This is possible by using the Consolidate Servers option in your preferences, which consolidates Views with the the same name on different Entuity servers. When this option is switched on, the maps are also consolidated.
Although devices that are managed by different Entuity servers can appear on the same map, the connections between them are not automatically discovered. However, you can define physical connections between devices through manual topology, and these connections can contain state information on the connection (and if you define the ports then you can also see utilization data).
When setting up Views on remote servers, ensure that you set up users with the appropriate server access permissions. If different users have different server access permissions on remote servers, then they might see different devices on the same consolidated View. This might mean they will also see different map layouts.
Behavior of maps with multiple Entuity servers
All map definitions are stored on the Entuity server and then drawn on your client machine. When you are logged in to a server that has one or more remote servers, then it is the Consolidate Servers preference that determines where a map definition is stored.
- Consolidate Servers is switched On: When you select a View, ENA consolidates the content of all Views with that name across all the servers to which you currently have access. The map will also include all this content. When you save the map, the map definition is saved to the server to which you are logged in.
- Consolidate Servers is switched Off: ENA will group all Views by their server - to select a View, you first have to select a server. The content of the View is restricted to the objects on that server, and the map contents are restricted in the same way. When you save the map, the definition is saved to the View's server.
Therefore, there are two map definitions, and which one is saved will depend on if you have switched the Consolidate Servers preference on or off. If you alternate between consolidated and unconsolidated modes, then you will also alternate between map definitions, even if the selected View only exists on the server to which you are logged in.
The same consolidated map definition might display different objects at different times. For example:
- if the remote server is unavailable when you open a map, ENA cannot display those objects in the map. However, if the remote server becomes available while you have the map open, it will update the map with the missing objects.
- if different users have different permissions (e.g. two users can log into the same central server and use the same View, but their permissions to remote servers may be very different), then ENA will display to each user only the network objects that they have permission to see.
- if a user alters their Servers and Viewers preferences, they might choose to not show a specific remote server. Views and objects from that remote server will therefore no longer be available to the map.