In ENA, fully managed devices can have a certified status of either certified or uncertified:
- a certified device is one where the device has an associated device support dataset that is created by Entuity Support. This definition is stored in bin.vendor. A certified device support dataset ensures that the device MIB is appropriately interrogated by ENA and that the device is assigned the appropriate ENA device type.
- an uncertified device is one where proliferate has automatically created a device vendor file that contains the device support dataset. When the device is similar to a device for which ENA has a certified device support dataset, the new vendor may be a very good fit.
ENA can create vendor files when you first take a device under management. However, every time you run configure, ENA rechecks devices and their associated vendor files and if a vendor file is missing then ENA will create an uncertified version. A vendor file may be missing, e.g. because the device has been replaced with a newer model, but details such as the hostname, IP address and SNMP community were retained. ENA will continue managing and polling the device.
An uncertified vendor file does not have an associated. Instead, you would have to manually assign it. An uncertified vendor is an interim solution:
- you should provide an SNMP walk of the device to your Entuity representative and request a certified vendor file.
- when you receive the vendor file, copy it to the entuity_home\etc and entuity_home\etc\exotica folders.
- when you next run configure, ENA will update the device support dataset used with that sysOID.
To view the certified status of a device:
- Click the Main Menu and then Administration. This will open the Administration page.
- Click Device Inventory to open the Device Inventory page.
- In the device list, find and select the device that you want to see, and then check the status icon in the Certified column. The status icons are as follows:
- - using certified vendor support.
- - using generic management, contact your Entuity representative to obtain a certified vendor file.
- - not yet determined if certified support exists for this device.