Entuity allows you to view configuration file changes, where they have been identified.
You can compare configuration files in any of the following combinations:
- current startup and running configuration files.
- any two archived startup configuration files.
- any two archived running configuration files.
Entuity identifies all differences between the two selected files. Any ignore patterns configured through the exclude patterns file are not applied.
To compare configuration files:
- Navigate to and select the device for which you want to compare files, and navigate to its Configuration Monitor dashboard.
- On the Device Configurations dashlet, select the file or files that you want to compare, and right click to open the Context Menu.
- Click on one of the following options, depending on if you have selected one or two files:
- Compare Running and Startup.
- View Running Configuration.
- View Startup Configuration.
- Compare Running Configurations.
- Compare Startup Configurations.
- The comparison page for your choice will open (see below).
Compare running and startup:
When you click this option, the Compare Configuration Files page will open. This displays the startup and running configurations based on the single file you have selected. The differences between the two files are color-coded, depending on the nature of the difference.
The following key is displayed at the bottom of the page:
|Highlight Color||Type of Difference|
|yellow||change to an existing line.|
|grey||missing line when compared to the original.|
There are two methods of display, which you can change at the bottom of the page (at the top of the page, you can click Change View Format to jump to these options at the bottom of the page).
- Side by Side: displays both files in their entirety side by side.
- Inline: displays only one column, with only the changed lines underneath one another.
You can also change the context of the display. Some files may be very long, and you may wish only to view the changed details. In this case, you can enter the number of unchanged lines around the changed lines in the context box (or leave it blank to display all lines):
So for example, if you specified 5 unchanged lines around each change, the page would only display the 5 unchanged lines above and 5 below the changed line.
If you have made any changes, click Reload to reload the page with the parameters that you have specified.
View running configuration or view startup configuration:
These options are available when you have selected a single configuration file. When you click one of these two options, a new browser page will open that displays the configuration file.
Compare running configurations or compare startup configurations:
These options are available when you have selected two configuration files. When you select either of these options, the two files are displayed either side-by-side or inline, depending on the choice you make at the bottom of the page. The differences between the two files are highlighted. Please see the Compare running and startup section above for information on how these files are displayed.