Applicable to Entuity v19.0 upwards
Introduction to the Managed Assets page:
From the Managed Assets page, you can see information about the assets under management on the selected server. You can also access the following functionality from the Overflow Menu and the buttons at the top of the tab.
At the top of the page, a number will appear next to the Managed Assets tab to denote the total number of assets under management on the selected server.
The Managed Assets page is divided into two sections:
- Managed assets summary bar at the top of the page.
- Managed assets table at the bottom of the page.
The summary bar provides high-level information about the assets under management. It is collapsible via the small arrow in the top right, if you want to provide more space for the table beneath it.
- License Consumption:
Details how many license credits of each type have been consumed from the available pool for the selected server.
- Asset Management Levels:
A pie chart displaying the number of assets under management (Full, Basic, Inventory).
Managed assets table:
The table of managed assets on the selected server, providing the following information about each asset. You can configure the columns in the table to display the information as best suits you. Click on the asset name to access the Summary dashboard for that asset.
|Column Name||Column Description|
|Status||status of the asset.|
|Asset Name||hyperlink to the Summary dashboard for the asset.|
|IP Address||IP address of the asset.|
|Type||type of asset, e.g. Router, Switch.|
|Vendor||vendor of the asset. For virtual devices, this is the name of the hypervisor vendor.|
|Model||model of the asset.|
|Serial No||serial number of the asset chassis. If the asset chassis serial number is not available, then the serial number of the motherboard is used.|
|Views||the View(s) that the asset is a member of.|
|Config Mgmt||if configuration management/monitoring is licensed and enabled for the asset.|
|Managed Since||date when the asset was taken under management.|
|Mgmt Level||existing management level of the discovered device, i.e. Full, Full (All Ports), Full (Mgmt Port only), Full (No Ports), Basic (SNMP) Basic (Ping Only) Unmanaged, New Asset.|
|Associated Assets||applicable to controllers - how many associated assets (e.g. VMs, APs) that the controller has.|
|Description||description of the asset.|
|Location||physical location of the asset|
|Poll Name||device name or IP address that Entuity uses to poll the device. This must be resolvable on the Entuity server.|
|Zone||zone to which the asset has been added.|
|SNMP Type||SNMP type|
device is either certified or uncertified.
If certified, the device has an associated vendor file created by Entuity Support. A certified vendor file ensures the device MIB is correctly interrogated and that the device has the correct device type.
If uncertified, the device has an automatically created vendor file, which is only an interim solution until a certified file can be provided.
To add a single device to your network:
- On the Managed Assets page, click Add Assets at the top of the page or from the Overflow Menu.
- This will open the Add Asset form.
From this form, you can add the following types of device:
Virtual machines, Meraki devices, Viptela devices and wireless APs are now first discovered as candidate associated assets, which must then be put under management in order to fully manage them. Please see this article for further help and information on the licensing required for associated assets.
- To see associated assets, find the managing device (e.g. a cloud controller or VM platform) in the table and click the number in blue in the Associated Assets column, or select Show Associated Assets from either the Overflow Menu or the right-click Context Menu.
- This will open an Associated Assets page, titled Associated Assets on [selected device]. This page displays a table of the associated assets and details thereof. In the top right, you can see the number of associated licenses used and available. From Entuity v19.0 P02 upwards, 'Unlimited' will be displayed if a license with an unlimited associated device license key is installed.
- From this page, you can select an associated asset and either Manage Asset(s) or Unmanage Asset(s), via the buttons at the top of the page or the Overflow Menu.
From Entuity v19.0 P02 upwards, you can click the Show New Associated button at the top of the page or via the Overflow Menu to filter the table so that it displays only new managed assets that have associated assets.
The table will then display only the new managed assets that have associated assets:
To modify an asset:
You may want to modify an asset and its attributes, for example when:
- setting CLI access.
- the read community string on a device has changed.
- a device is successfully polled only intermittently.
- in this case, you could extend SNMP timeout and retry values.
- a managed device has been replaced and the new device has inherited the old IP address.
- in this case, the device is under management but it might be using e.g. a different version of SNMP, or a different vendor file.
- From the table, select the asset(s) that you want to modify and click Modify Asset at the top of the page, or via the Overflow Menu or right-click Context Menu. By selecting multiple assets, you can apply changes in bulk, including applying credentials to multiple assets at the same time.
- This will open the Modify Asset form, from which you can edit the same fields as when adding an asset (see above). However, when modify an asset, you cannot change the Asset Category.
- Click Done in the top right to confirm and save your changes, otherwise click Cancel.
To delete an asset:
- From the table, select the asset(s) that you want to delete and click Delete Asset at the top of the page, or via the Overflow Menu or right-click Context Menu.
- A confirmation window will open asking if you want to delete the asset or assets.