The Chart dashlet displays object attribute data in a single chart. You can choose to display data about as many objects and as many attributes as you want in a single chart.
The Chart dashlet is applicable to any data type.
To add a Chart dashlet to a custom dashboard:
- Navigate to the custom dashboard for which you want to create the dashlet, or create a new dashboard.
- Click Add Dashlet. In the Select Dashlet Type form, select Charts and click Next.
- The Create Dashlet form will slide in on the right. Enter a name for your dashlet in the Name field.
- You can then choose the source of the data to be displayed in the dashlet.
- If you want this dashlet to source its data from the context of its parent dashboard, select Dashboard. You can see the context of the parent dashboard in the Dashboard Context field at the top of the form.
- If you want this dashlet to source its data from another dashlet in this current dashboard, select Dashlet.
- If you want this dashlet to source its data from a specific device on your network, select Fixed Object. You can then click Browse to an object to search for the device in Explorer, or drag into the box your desired device in from another browser window.
- Choose whether you want to hide the title of the dashlet in the Hide Title Bar field. If selected, the dashlet's Overflow Menu will also be hidden, but in the Promote Menu Options field you can then choose if you want to display the options in the dashlet's Overflow Menu in the overall dashboard's Overflow Menu.
- Choose whether you want the dashlet to automatically refresh in the Auto Refresh field.
- Add an attribute series to the Chart dashlet in the Series Data box. This is where you can specify the attribute(s) that you want the chart to display. You can either drag in an attribute from another tab or window, or you can click + Add a new series to open the Add Series form.
- Enter a name for the attribute series that you have selected in the Series Name. By default, it will be populated with the attribute's name.
- Click the Color field to enter the attribute's color, in the RGB format.
- Specify if you want to use the data source specified in Dashlet Source (step 4 above) as the source for this particular series with the Use Dashlet Source switch. When switched off, you will be prompted to select another source for this data series by either browsing to the object or dragging the object in.
- Specify the type of series in the Data Type field, either Stream or Ticker.
- Specify the type of attribute you want to display on the chart in the Attribute field. The list of available attributes that you can select from will depend on the type of object that you have selected for this data series.
- Enter the units in which you want the series to be measured in the Units field.
- Specify if you want the series to be displayed or not displayed on the chart with the Show Data Series field. This can be useful if you want to the chart to just show the trend line.
- Specify if you want to display the trend line on the chart with the Show Trend Line switch. The trend line is calculated based on the data displayed. To use more data to calculate the trend line, you can edit the time period given in the Stream Period field (see below at step 9.ii.).
- Specify if you want the predicted value to be shown in the legend, based on time period, one of:
- Value in 1 Week - shows the predicted value for one week ahead.
- Value in 1 Month - shows the predicted value for one month ahead.
- Value in 3 Months - shows the predicted value for three months ahead.
- Value in 6 Months - shows the predicted value for six months ahead.
- Date by Custom Value - enter a value and the prediction will show when the series will reach that value. It is possible that the series will not reach the specified value, e.g. when the trend is going down and you enter a large positive value.
- Click Done in the top right to save, otherwise click Cancel.
- Add as many data series as you want by repeating step 7. above.
- Click the Chart Settings field to open the Chart Settings form, from where you can change general settings for the chart.
- Specify the style of chart you want in the Style field.
- Specify the time period for which the data should be displayed in the Stream Period field, one of:
- Previous N - shows the previous amount of time, where N represents the amount of time, e.g. the previous 30 minutes, 48 hours, 5 days, 10 weeks.
- All data - shows all available data.
- Range - specify a time range from which to display data.
- Specify how you want the legend to be displayed, one of Always Visible, Always Hidden, or Auto (the legend will automatically disappear if the chart's is too small. Please see the section below on chart responsiveness for further details on this) in the Legend field.
- Specify if you want the chart to show the last value for each series in the chart with the Show Last Value switch. If turned on, and multiple series exist in the chart, it will only show as many values as can fit in the available space.
- Specify how you want the Y axis to appear in the Y Axis Scale field, one of:
- Auto (start at zero) - the Y axis starts at zero.
- Auto - calculates the extremes of the axis, depending on the maximum and minimum values of the series in the chart.
- Custom - allows you to specify a custom scale for the axis.
- Specify how you want series with the same unit of value to be stacked on the chart in the Stacking field. Note, series with different units will not be stacked together. Choose one of:
- None - disable stacking.
- Normal - series stacked on top of each other.
- Percent - series will be stacked in proportion to their values to fit 100% scale.
- Specify the method used to calculate the value that will represent a group of data points in the Approximation field, either Average or High (to show the highest value of the group).
- Switch on Enable Mouse Tracking to enable tooltips and click events.
- Click Done to save your changes and return to the Create Dashlet form.
- Click Done in the top right of the Create Dashlet form, otherwise click Cancel.
In the chart display itself, some features will be shown or hidden depending on the size of the chart.
- The chart navigator below the main chart shows a summary of the series in the chart. This will be hidden if the chart's height is less than 500 pixels.
- If the Legend field in the Chart Settings form is set to Auto, the chart's legend will be automatically hidden if the chart's height or width is less than 250 pixels. To make it visible again, increase the size of the chart.
- The Y axis will be hidden if the width of the chart is less than 150 pixels, and the X axis is hidden if the height of the chart is less than 85 pixels.
To view further information on the chart:
- Click on the data series in the legend to hide or display that data series in the chart.
- If the Enable Mouse Tracking switch is enabled, you can hover over a data series in the chart to see further information about it.
- In the dashlet Overflow Menu click Open in New Tab to open the chart in a new tab to more easily view the information on the chart.
To edit a chart dashlet:
Please see the article How do I edit chart settings in a dashlet? for help and information on editing chart dashlets.